Wondering how to lower sugar naturally? So, you have reached the right article, because below we talk about the plants that can help you with this metabolic problem. Although more and more people return to natural options to prevent and treat diseases, we must not forget that there are some very complex and / or chronic that will not be solved just by eating the right food, herbal medicine, doing some exercises, and even with only take synthetic medications, but require a set of habits and treatments focused on relieving symptoms or controlling the condition. This is the case of many diseases related to metabolism, such as diabetes, for which a specialist doctor will indicate both the diagnosis and the best treatment options in each case.
Thus, if after talking with your doctor you want to include some medicinal herbs indicated to improve problems with high blood glucose levels, keep reading because in oneHOWTO we give you a list and complete information on the best medicinal plants for diabetes , offering you more 35 floors.
What is diabetes and its types
Diabetes is a metabolic or metabolic disease in which there is a total or partial deficit in the secretion or production of insulin by the pancreas, which produces an accumulation of glucose in the blood, giving episodes or peaks of hyperglycemia or causing that this is practically constant.
There are basically two types of diabetes mellitus: type 1 and type 2. On the one hand, the first occurs when the immune system is activated against the pancreatic cells responsible for the production of insulin and, by attacking them, destroys them. In this way, the body produces less insulin. On the other hand, the second occurs when the pancreas does produce insulin but your body does not respond as it should to the presence of this hormone in the blood, so it does not fulfill its function. This means that the pancreas must produce much more of this hormone to be able to level glucose and, therefore, this organ suffers an overstrain that can end up causing damage that prevents it from continuing to produce the necessary large amount of this hormone. In both cases, although in different ways, glucose accumulates in the blood producing diabetes and episodes of hyperglycemia.
The use of medicinal plants for diabetes
In addition to the treatment itself with insulin injected in doses totally adapted to each person and at all times, it must be taken into account that someone with diabetes must follow a balanced and adapted diet. In addition, this diet can include herbal medicine or the use of medicinal plants to improve the problem. However, it is vital to bear in mind that these plants do not replace insulin doses or solve diabetes, but have beneficial effects to control the glycemic level in the blood, so they can help to require less inoculated insulin.
Therefore, if you are looking for a way to lower your blood sugar quickly because there is a hyperglycemia or rise that can be sudden and excessive and it is necessary to act quickly, you should always apply insulin because it is the option that acts with the highest speed. The rest of the options related to food and plants are slow acting, as the body must digest and obtain the nutrients to benefit. In addition, it is advisable to stick to the indications and combinations that the doctor says because mixing treatments or not eating properly can cause both hyperglycemia, or high blood sugar, and hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar, which is very dangerous.
List of medicinal plants for diabetes
Once the above has been clarified, we will talk about the best medicinal plants for diabetics , which thanks to different components in their leaves, roots, stems, flowers and / or fruits have hypoglycemic properties , that is, they lower the sugar level or blood glycemic. Some of these components are flavonoids, fibers, alkaloids, acids, and so on.
To begin, we show you the list of the most recommended by medical specialists and endorsed by studies and scientific publications, such as those carried out by the Ezequiel Zamora National Experimental University of the Western Plains (UNELLEZ) (Latin American medicinal plants as a medical and economic tool  ).
- Gymnema sylvestre ( Gymnema sylvestre )
- Guarumo ( Cecropia obtusifolia and Cecropia peltata )
- Cranberry ( Vaccinium ) leaves
- Chia ( Hispanic sage )
- Plantago or psyllium (Plantago psyllium)
- Green tea ( Camellia sinensis )
- Ginseng ( Panax ginseng Meyer. )
- Fenugreek or alhova ( Trigonella foenum-graecum )
- Corn ( Zea mays L. )
- Eucalyptus ( Eucalyptus globulus Labill. )
- Wereke ( Ibervillea sonorae )
- Muicle ( Justicia spicigera)
- Copalchi ( Hintonia latiflora )
- Cinnamon ( Cinnamomum verum )
- Galega ( Galega officinalis L. )
- Garlic ( Allium sativum L.)
- Artichoke or artichoke ( Cynara scolymus L. )
- Burdock ( Arctium lappa L. )
- Watercress ( Nasturtium officinale L. )
- Star thistle ( Centaurea calcitrapa L. )
- St. Peter’s wort or scrofularia ( Scrophularia nodosa L. )
- Stevia ( Stevia rebaudiana )
- Herb of Santiago or lily ( Senecio jacobea L. )
- Bean ( Phaseolus vulgaris L. )
- Brewer’s yeast ( Saccaromyces verevisiae Meyen )
- Flax ( Linum usitatissimum L. )
- Malvarrubia ( Marrubium vulgare L. )
- Walnut ( Juglans regia L. )
- Olive tree ( Olea Europea L. )
- Greater nettle ( Urtica dioica L. )
- Stonebreaker ( Phyllanthus niruri )
- Salsify ( Tragopogon porrifolius L. )
- Sage ( Salvia officinalis L.)
- Purslane ( Portulaca oleracea L. )
- Vicar rose ( Catharanthus roseus L. )
- Zarramonera ( Emblica officinalis Gaertn. )
These plants are native to different parts of the world, mainly Asia, Europe and Central and South America, but most can be purchased anywhere. In the following sections you will find more information and recipes for some of these plants, but remember that the doses and the frequency of the doses must be indicated by the doctor himself.
Muicle for diabetes
Known in some parts of Latin America as vegetable insulin or natural insulin for diabetes , muicle, moyotli, moyotle or ych-kaan ( Justicia spicigera ) is another of the Mexican medicinal plants that can help maintain blood glucose at an optimal level . However, although it is known by the common name of natural insulin, it is not equivalent to a dose of injectable insulin, neither slow nor fast.
The most used parts of the muicle plant in Mexican herbalism to treat different health problems are the flowers, leaves and branches. In the case of this metabolic disease, it is better to infuse the leaves. You just need to follow these indications:
- 1 handful of muicle leaves.
- 1/5 liter of water.
- A few drops of lemon
- Bring the water to a boil.
- When it is boiling add the leaves of this Mexican medicinal plant.
- Let it boil for 10 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Let the infusion rest for 5 more minutes and strain the liquid.
- When it is warm, you can take it.
- In general, try to take a maximum of one cup a day, but take breaks of one or two days on a frequent basis.
Cranberry leaves for diabetes
One of the best home remedies for diabetes based on infusions is to take those of blueberry leaves. Yes, the blueberry plant is one of the best medicinal plants for diabetes that we recommend, but why?
The reason is that the leaves of this plant contain tannins, oleanolic acid and ursolic acid, arbutoside or arbutin and some alkaloids, such as miritna. These components give them diuretic, astringent, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antiseptic properties, especially for the urinary system, and blood glucose-lowering properties. To take blueberry leaves for diabetes take note:
- 20 g of blueberry leaves.
- 1 liter of water.
- Place the saucepan or pot with the water on the fire to bring it to a boil.
- Crush or crush the leaves and when the water boils add them.
- Let the infusion brew for 8-10 minutes and then remove it from the heat.
- Cover the pot to let the liquid rest for 5 more minutes, then strain the remains.
- The resulting infusion can be taken as soon as it does not burn.
- It is advisable to take a maximum of three cups a day, after meals and always without adding sweeteners, so if you don’t like the taste it is better to add a few drops of lemon.
Galega officinalis to lower blood sugar
Following the list of herbs for diabetes, we stop at Galician alfalfa, Galician alfalfa or cabruna rue . This plant has derivatives of guanidine, such as galegin, peganin and hydroxygalegin, as well as flavonoids, saponins and tannins. Thanks to its composition, it has hypoglycemic properties, which help regulate blood glucose, and diuretic. Follow this Galician recipe for diabetes :
- 1 teaspoon of dried galega leaves and flowers.
- 1 cup of water.
This is the proportion, so to leave more quantity ready to drink, you will only have to double the amount of a cup and a teaspoon.
- Bring the water to a boil in the pot or casserole.
- Add the medicinal herb and stir a little.
- Let the infusion brew for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, let it warm and strain the liquid.
- It is advisable to have two warm or warm glasses before the two or three main meals a day. However, you should not take this infusion for many days in a row.
Cinnamon for diabetes
Another option for diabetes tea is to make one with cinnamon. The bark of the cinnamon tree is what gives us the cinnamon spice, widely used in cooking and medicine. Its active ingredients are essential oil (cinnamaldehyde and eugenol), coumarins, mucilages, carbohydrates, tannins and a compound called methyl-hydroxy-chalcone or MHCP . All this gives it aperitive, digestive, carminative, sudorific, stimulating, activating blood circulation, emmenagogue, astringent, antispasmodic and hypoglycemic properties.
To prepare a cinnamon infusion for diabetes, follow these steps:
- In equal parts: cinnamon, chamomile and mint.
- 250 ml of water.
- Heat the water a little and add a level tablespoon of the herb mixture.
- It only needs to be blanched for 15 minutes.
- Filter the liquid to remove the remains of leaves and you can drink it.
- It is recommended to have a hot cup after the main meals.
Nettle infusion for diabetes
The greater nettle or green nettle is the most common of this type of plant and although its leaves are stinging when in contact with the skin if they are fresh, the truth is that used correctly it can bring us great benefits. Among its active principles we find caffeic acid, gallic acid, formic acid, linoleic acid, chlorogenic acid, mucilage, flavonoids, various mineral salts, acetylcholine, vitamin A, tannins, phytosterols, all in different amounts depending on the part of the plant.
Learn how to make this recipe for nettle infusion to lower blood sugar , to which we will add other beneficial plants for their hypoglycemic and diuretic properties:
In equal parts: nettle leaves, artichoke, gentian and copalchia. Use a tablespoon of the mixture of these leaves for each glass of water.
- Make the mixture of the leaves.
- Boil the water and when it is warm add the leaves and let the mixture rest overnight to macerate. You can leave the pot half covered.
- The next morning, strain the liquid to filter the remains well.
- You can drink up to three small glasses a day, distributed with the main meals.
This article is merely informative, at oneHOWTO we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Medicinal plants for diabetes , we recommend that you enter our category of Natural Remedies .
Hello, I am a blogger specialized in environmental, health and scientific dissemination issues in general. The best way to define myself as a blogger is by reading my texts, so I encourage you to do so. Above all, if you are interested in staying up to date and reflecting on these issues, both on a practical and informative level.