Changes in living conditions, population growth, increased energy expenditure, the need to increase the production of food or consumer goods have led to great technological advances in today’s societies. The consequences of this are major environmental problems such as environmental pollution, logging or urbanization of the land.
We can all imagine it, but do we really know how technology affects the environment ? In the following AgroCorrn article we will explain it to you.
- Technology and environment
- Some facts about air pollution
- Benefits of technology on the environment
Technology and environment
The vast majority of the usual activities in our day to day produce pollution, whether acoustic, light or atmospheric, whose final receptor is the environment. Every time we use electricity, means of transport, medicines, cleaning products, heating or heating food, we produce, even if not directly, polluting waste.
Pollution varies according to a series of factors such as population growth, degree of urbanization, industrial development, mechanization of agriculture or the use of natural resources. And among all its types, air pollution is particularly important. This pollution usually comes from means of transport, industrial emissions or emissions from the city or the countryside.
These factors impact the environment in many ways , including:
- Salinization, acidification, compaction, erosion or desertification of soils .
- Contribution to climate change and production of polluting fog over cities ( smog ).
- Affecting biodiversity , causing a decrease in genetic variability.
- Water pollution and sedimentation .
- Deforestation of forests .
- Waste dumps : sometimes, those who manage the industries do not know how to dispose of this waste, so they dump it in the poorest countries, which negatively affects flora, fauna and the environment.
Some facts about air pollution
The atmospheric concentration of greenhouse gases has been found to have increased largely since the industrial revolution. Thus, it has been seen that the average concentration of carbon dioxide has increased from 275 ppm before the industrial revolution, to 361 ppm in 1996. Methane levels have also doubled in the last century, from 1.8 ppm to 17 ppm in 1992.
An important source of carbon dioxide is the burning of large masses of vegetation to expand farmland or the extensive use of fossil fuels for energy, although the main source of carbon dioxide, nitrogen monoxide or hydrocarbons emitted are transport. These and other chlorinated gases, in addition to contributing to global warming , also increase the hole (thinning) of the ozone layer.
The level of ozone present on continents such as Antarctica has already reached its lowest levels, which means that a large part of our planet’s glaciers are melting , causing changes in the global climate. These changes mean that they have to face sea containment works, migrations of people or species, changes in crops, hurricanes, heavy rains or extreme temperatures.
Benefits of technology on the environment
But technology not only negatively affects the environment, it can also contribute to its improvement and, when used properly, it can be a very important tool for the conservation of the environment. Some examples can be:
- Recycling : the advancement of technology has made it possible to increase the recycling processes of waste generated in different activities and it is still possible to innovate more in this field
- Technology allows greater technical and scientific knowledge of the environment, helping to design and create goods or services that favor the conservation of the environment.
- Development of new forms of energy that are friendly to the environment such as solar or wind energy
- Develop means of transport that use fuel more respectful to the environment
- Develop systems that allow for the environmentally friendly disposal of chemical waste
- Develop systems to control energy use at home or in the workplace
Many of these proposals have yet to be developed and investigated, but technology can also be an ally to reduce the risks associated with the depletion of the ozone layer or the carbon footprint.
To finish, as we want to continue helping the planet, and not only promoting the responsible and beneficial use of technology for it, we believe that these Environmental phrases can help you become more aware of its importance and, if you want, you can share them so that it continues to grow.
If you want to read more articles similar to How technology affects the environment , we recommend that you enter our Green Technology category .
Hello, I am a blogger specialized in environmental, health and scientific dissemination issues in general. The best way to define myself as a blogger is by reading my texts, so I encourage you to do so. Above all, if you are interested in staying up to date and reflecting on these issues, both on a practical and informative level.