We live in a world that is running out. We must begin to take care of the environment in all areas of our life, especially in those that are part of our day to day. We are not aware of the daily water consumption that is, for example, the tasks in the kitchen. To wash dishes by hand, we spend 100 liters in 10 minutes, and a dishwasher needs between 19 and 30 liters per cycle. A poorly closed tap that leaks wastes between 150 and 200 liters per day and a washing machine can use 200 liters per full load. The washing machines that use the most water are those with a top load, while those with a front load use between 38 and 91 liters per 7 kilos of full load.
But we have options. There is no reason to resign and say that there is no choice and that washing by hand is even more harmful to the environment. In fact, we can already find “ecological” washing machines on the market. In this AgroCorrn article, we explain what ecological washing machines are and what are their advantages.
What is an ecological washing machine?
For a washing machine to be considered ecological, it must comply with a series of guidelines, both in its manufacture and in its operation:
- You should consume a maximum of 15 liters of water per kilo of laundry in a long cycle (cotton) in hot water.
- The energy saving should be 0.23 KW / hour per kilo of clothes in a wash cycle.
- It is also important to take into account the material from which the washing machine is made, being able to use bioplastics for its manufacture, which allow reducing CO2 emissions and also being 100% degradable their environmental impact is very low.
As consumers, when buying a new washing machine, or any other appliance, we must take into account the following recommendation: let’s look for the energy label. It will inform us of the energy and water consumption values of the appliance, thus, we quickly know the energy efficiency of the appliance. On the other hand, it will also inform us about the sound power of the device both in the wash phase and in the spin phase, avoiding noise pollution.
Classes of ecological washing machines
Within the so-called “ecological” washing machines we can find different models and brands and even some DIY (do it yourself – do it yourself).
We already find washing machines on the market that do not need water to work: LG has developed a washing machine that washes without water. Previously I would have already released other products such as the LG Styler which is an ironing cabinet that allows you to remove the bad smell from clothes without having to wash but now they have gone further and will not only remove the smell but also clean the clothes. It is not yet on the market but its launch is expected shortly.
This design is based on the creation of some students from the National University of Córdoba (Argentina) who created the NIMBUS model , a device that uses natural carbon dioxide and a biodegradable detergent. The wash cycle lasts about 30 minutes and the carbon dioxide used by the machine is recycled over and over again inside the machine. It also has a system of safety valves with automatic stop in case of some kind of leak.
On the other hand, we have the Xeros brand washing machine that is already on sale in the US and the United Kingdom and is capable of washing with just a glass of cold water.
Its operation is simple: it has plastic balls that are put into the washing machine, together with the glass of water and when they rub against the clothes due to the movement of the drum, they are able to clean dirt and remove stains. The balls, which are the size of rice grains, can be used up to 100 times and the machine has a device that collects them at the end of each wash cycle. They are also non-toxic and do not cause any type of allergy.
These washing machines are being tested successfully in the Hyatt hotel chain, therefore we are no longer talking about any project but about a reality.
In the Spanish market , we can find so-called “ecological” washing machines:
- For example we have the Samsung Ecobubble washing machine . According to a study by the OCU (Organization of Consumers and Users), this washing machine, compared to another of the same brand but of a different model, does not obtain better results in terms of energy or washing efficiency. Therefore, its system of generating foam by injecting air into the detergent-water mixture is not the efficient solution that is intended.
- We also have the Hotpoint brand model, Aqualtis, which is made with recycled plastics obtained from old refrigerators and washing machines, substantially reducing CO2 emissions in its manufacture. These models are also accompanied by an A ++ energy efficiency system and good performance.
- Other important brands of washing machines such as Whirlpool has launched into this market with the Whirlpool Aqua-Steam 6769 model , with A ++ energy efficiency that promises a water saving of up to 35%.
For those who are especially crafty and / or committed are the ecological washing machines that can be manufactured at home through recycling and imagination. Two students from the University of Philadelphia have built a washing machine that can completely do without electric power and works with a foot pedal. It has a 19 liter plastic bucket of water, a tube structure, a pair of resistant laces and a neoprene cover. He starts pedaling and washes his clothes. They have called it the GiraDora, a name that is as easy and simple as how it works.
Water is a precious commodity, just like the energy we use, and we must be aware that the purchase of one appliance or another, and the responsible use of it, are decisive factors in caring for the environment.
If you want to read more articles similar to Ecological washing machines , we recommend that you enter our Energy Saving category .