Osteoarthritis is a chronic disease, which is also degenerative. This produces an alteration of the cartilage of the joints and these are destroyed, so they are reduced to the point of being able to disappear completely in a joint. This leads to symptoms such as joint pain, inflammation, stiffness and deformation of these parts of the body. It can occur in any joint in the body, but the most common parts are the hands and knees.
There are those who suffer from this problem and look for medicinal plants to cure osteoarthritis , but it must be borne in mind that there are no plants that by taking them completely cure this problem. Well, you have to have an adequate diet to help stop the deterioration of cartilage and carry out medical treatments for it. However, medicinal plants can relieve pain and inflammation. In AgroCorrn we explain the best ones and how to use them.
- How to relieve the pain of osteoarthritis with ginger
- Turmeric, a very effective medicinal plant for osteoarthritis
- Horsetail, one of the best infusions for osteoarthritis
- Nettles to treat osteoarthritis
- Cat’s claw, a medicinal plant to relieve osteoarthritis
How to relieve the pain of osteoarthritis with ginger
The Ginger or Zingiber officinale is a plant whose root is widely used in natural medicine to have great properties for the whole organism. It is especially suitable for treating circulatory and respiratory problems and pain and inflammation in any part of the body. In this case, ginger is good for osteoarthritis because it allows quick relief from inflammation and pain. It contains gingerols and shagaols which are two highly anti-inflammatory and analgesic components .
To prepare ginger to relieve osteoarthritis, it is recommended to take 1 or 2 cups a day when there are outbreaks of pain and inflammation. Once this episode of discomfort is over, you can stop taking this plant to see how the body reacts and if the pains return soon, then it is advisable to always take a daily cup.
- 2 large cups of water
- 1 slice of ginger root.
- Lemon to taste.
- Cut the piece of root that you are going to use, we recommend that you cut a slice about two fingers wide if the root part is medium thick, less if it is very thick and more if it is a thin part.
- Bring the water to a boil in a pot.
- Wash the piece of ginger root and cut it, unpeeled, into small pieces.
- When the water starts to boil, add the root pieces and lower the heat, leaving it to medium power.
- Let it boil for 15 to 20 minutes, turn off the heat, remove the pot from the stove and cover it.
- Allow it to sit for 5 more minutes before straining the pieces and drinking the infusion.
- You can add a splash or a few drops of fresh lemon, as the flavor of this infusion is strong.
With this amount you will have to drink a large cup of infusion or two of normal size.
Turmeric, a very effective medicinal plant for osteoarthritis
The turmeric or Curcuma longa is a large plant with antiinflammatory properties, in fact is one of the natural anti – inflammatory and soothing or analgesics more potent there. In addition, this medicinal plant is full of antioxidants that will help improve the general health of our body. Thus, to take turmeric as a natural treatment to relieve osteoarthritis, you just have to follow these simple instructions:
- 2 tablespoons of grated turmeric root or 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder.
- 1 liter of water.
- Lemon and / or honey to taste.
Preparation and treatment
- Bring a liter of water to boil and when it reaches the boiling point add the turmeric.
- Let it boil for 20 minutes if you have used the grated root, but only 10 minutes if you have used turmeric powder.
- Remove the pot or saucepan from the heat and cover for 5 more minutes to allow it to rest and warm.
- Strain the infusion and add lemon or honey to your liking before drinking it.
You can take 1 infusion of turmeric a day to relieve osteoarthritis .
Another option is that when there are outbreaks of severe pain and inflammation, turmeric can be applied externally as a poultice. In this way the action of the infusion is amplified. Therefore, in case of being at a time of great swelling and discomfort, you can choose to take an infusion and at the same time make a paste with turmeric and a little hot water, wrap it in gauze and place it still warm on the affected joints for 20 minutes . This combination allows quick relief from osteoarthritis . In addition, you can add it to your usual diet.
Horsetail, one of the best infusions for osteoarthritis
Horsetail or Equisetum arvense is one of the best options to improve osteoarthritis. The reason is that it is not only anti-inflammatory, since it is very diuretic and helps reduce the fluid retained in swellings, but it also has a high content of silicon, a trace element that serves to slow down the deterioration of cartilage and even to stimulate the regeneration of these to some extent.
To take horsetail for osteoarthritis we recommend different formats suitable for it. For example, you can take an infusion a day , not very loaded, the capsules or the extract of this medicinal plant. The dose of the capsules and the extract will be indicated by the doctor or you can see them on the product packaging.
Nettles to treat osteoarthritis
Nettle is another very common medicinal plant that has analgesic, anti-inflammatory and circulation-activating properties that are very beneficial to relieve arthrosis. In this case, its external use is recommended in a suitable way to treat this disease, making it more convenient to use it during outbreaks of pain and discomfort. In fact, some pharmacies sell creams and lotions with nettle , or formic or methanoic acid found in this plant, to treat these joint pain and inflammation. However, apart from the external application of these creams and lotions, it is convenient to take baths with infusion of nettle .
To do this, you have to prepare a good amount of nettle infusion, between 1 and 2 liters, to pour into the bathtub for a relaxing bath. It is important not to fill the bathtub too much or if you do add more quantity of infusion. It is best if the bath water is hot rather than lukewarm and that it lasts 15 minutes or more. If the pain is only in a specific joint, for example only in the hands, you can use a bowl and soak them in the mixture of hot water and infusion for the same time, but using between half a liter and a liter of this infusion.
Cat’s claw, a medicinal plant to relieve osteoarthritis
Finally, we recommend using a well-known medicinal plant for joint pain: cat’s claw or Uncaria tomentosa . It is another of the most effective plants to relieve pain and inflammation, as its analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects are very powerful and quick-acting. You can find capsules of this plant in herbalists and pharmacies and, if you take them, follow the doctor’s instructions or those on the container of cat’s claw capsules . Another option is to also prepare the infusion. For a single infusion of cat’s claw you will need:
- 200 ml of water
- 1 teaspoon cat’s claw
Preparation and treatment
- Bring the water to a boil in a pot or saucepan.
- Add to a large cup and empty the teaspoon of this plant.
- When the water reaches the boiling point, pour it into the cup with the cat’s claw plant and cover the cup. If you don’t have a cup with a lid, you can use a small coffee cup plate.
- Allow it to rest between 4 and 8 minutes and strain the infusion to remove the remains of the plant.
- When the liquid is at room temperature, you can drink it.
- You can have 1 cup a day .
Before using any of these medicinal plants to cure osteoarthritis , we remind you that you should talk to your regular doctor if any of these can be taken, not only for your general health, but especially if you already take medications to treat this disease. In this way, you will ensure that you avoid crosses or interactions between drugs and plants. In addition, some of these plants are contraindicated during pregnancy and lactation, such as cat’s claw.
If you like the plants used in natural medicine, do not hesitate to also consult these other AgroCorrn articles in which we discover 50 Mexican medicinal plants and what they are for and 60 medicinal plants from Peru and what they are for .
If you want to read more articles similar to Medicinal plants to cure osteoarthritis , we recommend that you enter our category of Natural Remedies .