It is true that perfume is a very pleasant element to use once we are showered and cleaned. For many men and women, wearing perfume on a daily basis is more than a pleasure, it is a hallmark. However, sadly in the cosmetic and perfume industry, more and more products are made from molecules that are harmful to the environment, and even directly to health, such as nano-titanium dioxide, a microscopic particle used by many products of cosmetics, to give just one example.
These particles remain impregnated in our skin and, when we shower, they end up in the drain and later end up in municipal waters, being able to enter rivers, lakes or the sea. If you want to know the art of making natural homemade perfumes , keep reading this AgroCorrn article.
- Commercial perfumes vs. homemade natural perfumes
- How to make a homemade natural perfume with essences
- How to make a natural and fresh perfume step by step
- How to make eau de toilette or bath water
Commercial perfumes vs. homemade natural perfumes
Perfumery has always existed and, in the beginning, natural substances were used to give aroma, such as lavender, peppermint, essential oils , etc. In recent years, in order to lower costs, many cosmetic industries include synthetic ingredients in them.
Little by little, perfumes are becoming more uniform and with less personality. Despite this, there are still brands that use natural substances in some of their perfumes. Check now if yours is totally natural and what type of substances it uses to know if you are perfuming yourself in a totally respectful way with the environment or if, on the contrary, it is not and you decide to start weighing other alternatives.
If we do not buy a perfume that we are sure is totally natural (which results in a fresher and more pleasant fragrance), we can change our habits and start making a totally natural perfume ourselves. And not only that, because with these ideas, you will know what to give on the next birthday of that special person. An inexpensive, original and personalized gift with which we will be helping the environment. In addition, if you have to give something personal and natural, you may be interested in consulting our ideas of ecological gifts for women , among which natural homemade perfumes are a very good option.
As you will see, making natural homemade perfumes is inexpensive. Alcohol is quite cheap and each bottle of essential oil can cost from 2 to 6 euros, but it will last you for many perfumes, that is, months or even years. If you have empty glass perfume bottles, pour the handmade perfume into them to give a distinctive look to our homemade fragrance.
How to make a homemade natural perfume with essences
How to make your own homemade natural perfume? Very easy, you will have to start by gathering the ingredients and materials and choosing the essences, essential oils, that you want to use to give it the aroma that you like the most. Take note of the ingredients and steps to follow on how to make a perfume with essential oils :
Ingredients and material
- Pure alcohol, without any smell.
- Some water.
- Essential oils for aromas (better if they are organic).
- Dark glass container.
In each perfume, there will have to be three different notes that you will achieve with the essential oils of your choice:
- The main note : it is the most important because it is the one that will make the first impression on our perfume. It will be the presentation letter of the fragrance, although its aroma is the least durable. We recommend a citrus fruit for its characteristics. Buy essential oil of lemon, grapefruit, orange …
- The central note : basically, the hallmark of the perfume. What works best are the flowers, with a more or less spicy tone, according to our tastes. Jasmine, rose, lavender …
- The base note : she will be the one that stays the most on the skin. It has to be an oil with a light note, such as cedar or vanilla.
The amounts of each ingredient will depend on the amount you make and your preferences, but keep in mind that the middle note and the base note must be twice the main note and that perfumes have to contain more drops of essential oils. than the home-made cologne or bath waters, indicated in the last section of this article.
- Dilute the alcohol with a little water in the final container that you will use to store the perfume.
- Add the amount of each essential oil that you have chosen, we recommend that you start small and that if at the end you think that any of the oils would be more convenient, add it and, thus, you go on perfecting the recipe to your liking.
- Move the jar carefully so that the ingredients are mixed well.
- Ideally, let it macerate for 3 or 4 weeks and then freeze it and filter it with a paper filter, but if you let it sit for a day you can start using it. If the result does not convince you with just one day of rest, then without altering the mixture, let it macerate for the aforementioned time and you will see how it improves. Remember to store it in a dark glass or in places where light does not shine, as it deteriorates the essential oils.
How to make a natural and fresh perfume step by step
You can also add a fresh touch to your perfume, but how to make a fresh scented perfume at home? Well, with essential oils with a fresh smell. Take note of the ingredients and their approximate amounts, as well as the preparation:
Ingredients and material
- 96º or pharmacy alcohol.
- Some water.
- Essential oils with fresh aromas.
- Glass bottle, preferably dark.
The approximate ratio will be as follows: for every 100 milliliters of alcohol, 20 or 30 milliliters of essential oils in equal parts (the middle note and the base note, always twice the main note).
We share with you the most basic way of making perfume, but once you have learned the technique you can create compositions for each note described, achieving 9 different aromas (3 for each note). Examples of essential oils to make a fresh homemade perfume :
- Top note : citrus (try tangerine for example if you want a fruity touch to your perfume), bergamot, eucalyptus, lavender, lemongrass, spearmint.
- Central note : chamomile, cinnamon, nutmeg, tea tree, rosemary, thyme, geranium, jasmine, ylang ylang and trees like pine, cypress, fir …
- Base notes : cedar, frankincense, ginger, helichrysum, myrrh, patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla …
- Prepare the mixture as in the previous recipe, with the ingredients of your choice.
- Put the mixture in a tinted bottle, tightly closed and store it in a cool place and as dark as possible.
- Now comes the maceration part. For all the smells to permeate, you have to let it marinate for 3 weeks, ideally a month . Take the opportunity to think about other combinations of aromas in the meantime.
As you can see, the raw materials it needs are so cheap and it requires so little that you will save tons of money on perfumes.
After this time, we will put the mixture in the freezer overnight and then filter it with a paper filter , thus eliminating the residues.
How to make eau de toilette or bath water
Without a doubt, you will get the strongest and most resistant aroma with the perfume, but if you are looking to make cologne (for example for children) or bath water, the process is the same, only changing the proportions. We are going to share with you a recipe that experts have prepared so that you can obtain an incredible eau de cologne, although later, your imagination to make combinations will have no limit.
- 20 drops of orange essential oil.
- 10 drops of lemon essential oil.
- 10 drops of essential oil of bergamot or a similar citrus.
- 2 drops of essential oil of petit grain or bitter orange.
- 2 drops of rosemary essential oil.
- 96º pure or pharmacy alcohol.
- Some water.
- Put all the essential oils in a tinted 100 milliliter glass jar and mix them together.
- Let it sit for 4 days.
- Then add 80 milliliters of pure alcohol.
- Shake it up and let it sit for 4-6 weeks.
- Then freeze it overnight, filter it through a paper coffee filter, and put it in the final jar. If you see that it is too strong, you can add a little water.
If you want to read more articles similar to The art of making natural homemade perfumes , we recommend that you enter our Sustainability and Sustainable Development category .
Hello, I am a blogger specialized in environmental, health and scientific dissemination issues in general. The best way to define myself as a blogger is by reading my texts, so I encourage you to do so. Above all, if you are interested in staying up to date and reflecting on these issues, both on a practical and informative level.