Popularly known as loropetalum, it is a tree that belongs to the Hamamelidaceae family and the Loropetalum genus, which is made up of only three species of shrubs that originate in Southeast Asia and Japan: loropetalum subcordatum, loropetalum chinensis and loropetalum lanceum. With the right conditions it can be grown anywhere in the world.
It is a beautiful evergreen tree that does not usually exceed 2 meters in height and has very decorative leaves with an oval shape and an alternating arrangement. Its flowers are shaped similar to that of a spider and can be white or pink, which is when the tree is most beautiful. It blooms both in winter and early spring.
- Location : it is usually used to form hedges and borders, but also as an isolated specimen both in the garden and on terraces and balconies. It can develop well both in semi-shade and directly in the sun.
- Climate : the Mediterranean climate suits it very well, and it can even withstand some frost, as long as it is sporadic and of low intensity.
- Soil : it has to be somewhat acidic, so adding leaf mulch to normal garden soil is helpful.
- Transplant : if you do it, it has to be in early spring.
- Irrigation : it tolerates drought very well, so wait for the surface of the land to dry well between watering and watering so that it does not puddle.
- Fertilizer : before planting you should apply organic fertilizer, and then once a year it will be enough with the annual garden fertilizer. During the flowering season it is advisable to add a mineral fertilizer every 20 days.
- Pruning : it does not need it, but you can do it to shape it or to remove old branches. The ideal is to do it after flowering so as not to hinder it.
- Pests and diseases : it is very resistant to both, and unless you neglect it a lot it will not be attacked.
- Multiplication : the best method is by cuttings made in summer, and it can also be done very productively by seeds sown in spring.
If you want to read more articles similar to Parrot tree care , we recommend that you enter our Indoor Plants category .
Hello, I am a blogger specialized in environmental, health and scientific dissemination issues in general. The best way to define myself as a blogger is by reading my texts, so I encourage you to do so. Above all, if you are interested in staying up to date and reflecting on these issues, both on a practical and informative level.