In today’s society, plastics are used in all kinds of containers and objects, generating a large amount of waste that is disposed of in the environment. This, together with the fact that it is a material that takes a long time to degrade, makes it a big problem for the environment.
An alternative to these plastics is to make bioplastics . This would allow them to biodegrade in less time, thus reducing the impact generated by these residues. For this reason, in this AgroCorrn article we will see how to make biodegradable plastic with cornstarch .
- Why look for alternatives to plastic
- What are bioplastics and how to make them
- How to make biodegradable plastic with cornstarch step by step
Why look for alternatives to plastic
Due to the increasing concern for the conservation of the environment and for environmental pollution , new solutions are being innovated that reduce the negative impacts of human beings on the environment . Among these environmental problems, one of the most important is the uncontrolled increase in waste, especially plastic.
The case that plastic is such a significant problem for the environment is that it is a material that takes a long time to biodegrade and causes significant damage to the environment and fauna, for example to filter marine fauna. Learn more about how long it takes for waste to degrade in this other AgroCorrn article.
In addition, plastic is one of the most used materials on the planet and the incineration of its waste generates a large amount of polluting greenhouse gases . For all this, it is necessary to look for alternatives to the use of traditional plastics. This includes methods of reuse, recycling or the manufacture of bioplastics.
In this other article we delve into The environmental impact of plastic bags .
What are bioplastics and how to make them
Bioplastics are defined as those plastics made with products of natural origin , usually vegetable, which makes them biodegradable plastics . Having a much more natural origin than current plastics, they decompose in nature in less time at the end of their useful life and cause less damage to the environment when subjected to recycling and disposal methods, such as incineration. Some of the best and strongest bioplastics are made using soy, potato (starch is a good material for bioplastics) and corn as raw materials. In addition to these there are an infinity of materials that can be used to manufacture bioplastics and all of them are for daily use.
One of the many recipes to make bioplastic at home has cornstarch (starch or cornstarch) as its main raw material. To make this type of plastic, 30 grams of cornstarch will be enough. Other necessary products and tools are water, vinegar, glycerin (it is usually found in soaps and bath products or even sold separately), a container and a spoon, to be able to be non-stick to facilitate the process of detaching the mixture resulting from the process. .
Next, we show you a recipe with this main ingredient so that you can learn how to make homemade plastic .
How to make biodegradable plastic with cornstarch step by step
Once you gather the ingredients that we have discussed in the previous section, the steps to make biodegradable plastic with cornstarch that you will have to follow are the following:
- Add a tablespoon of cornstarch to the bowl and mix evenly with four tablespoons of water until the starch is completely dissolved.
- Add a tablespoon of glycerin and a tablespoon of vinegar to the mixture and mix again. Once you have the mixture, heat it over low heat while stirring it, using a non-stick spoon that does not conduct heat or a wooden spoon. Perform this process until you get a thick dough without lumps and remove from heat. During this process, care must be taken that the liquid does not evaporate.
- Once you have the paste ready, choose the place to let it dry, but it is important to do it on a non-stick surface to ensure that the bioplastic can be easily peeled off once it dries. If it is not possible to find a non-stick surface, a transparent film can be spread over the chosen surface, so that once the biodegradable plastic paste is dry, you only have to remove the film.
- When the pasta has cooled, you can give the dough the final shape you want the bioplastic to have. Do not wait until the mixture is completely cold, because this will make it very difficult for you to modify its shape.
- When you have already given it the shape you want, you can leave it in a dry place and away from dangers that can spoil it. You will leave it there for two or three days, which is the time necessary for it to dry completely.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to make biodegradable plastic with cornstarch , we recommend that you enter our category of Ecological Products .
Hello, I am a blogger specialized in environmental, health and scientific dissemination issues in general. The best way to define myself as a blogger is by reading my texts, so I encourage you to do so. Above all, if you are interested in staying up to date and reflecting on these issues, both on a practical and informative level.