The lady of the night is a shrub that is also known by the names of cestro or galán de noche and that is characterized by the aroma of its flowers, which open when the end of the day arrives. It is one of the most used shrubs in aromatic gardens, so it is undoubtedly also a great option for any corner of your garden.
It can reach 5 meters in height and although its appearance is not as beautiful as that of other shrubs , its aroma makes up for it. It has oval green leaves and small white flowers that open, as I said at the beginning, when night comes, that’s why the specimen is called that. With the proper conditions and care, you will get the most out of it.
- Temperature : the only requirement it has in this sense is that it must be very well protected from the lowest temperatures, since being originally from tropical areas, it does not tolerate them. Make sure it is never exposed to temperatures below -2ºC.
- Lighting : it is very important that it receives a lot of natural light during spring and summer, otherwise it would be very difficult for it to give flowers and, therefore, have its special aroma.
- Soil : it is not very demanding in this sense and almost any type of soil will do well, as long as it has a good drainage capacity.
- Watering the lady at night : it has to be every other day in summer and a couple of times a week in winter, always waiting for the surface of the earth to dry before watering again.
- Fertilizer : especially important during the flowering season, the application of iron-rich fertilizers, which are also very good for the rest of the year.
- Pruning : one is recommended when summer begins to control its growth and favor another flowering.
- Pests : those that can affect you the most are aphids, red spiders and whiteflies, so be very careful about this aspect to be able to detect them as soon as possible.
- Multiplication : it can be done by seeds or by cuttings, always in late spring or early summer, coinciding with the flowering season.
If you want to read more articles similar to Cultivating the lady at night, a shrub with a fantastic aroma , we recommend that you enter our category of Cultivation and care of plants .
Hello, I am a blogger specialized in environmental, health and scientific dissemination issues in general. The best way to define myself as a blogger is by reading my texts, so I encourage you to do so. Above all, if you are interested in staying up to date and reflecting on these issues, both on a practical and informative level.