The peach, also called the peach tree or Prunus persica , is a tree that comes from China, Iran and Afghanistan and was imported to Europe by the Romans. Its fruits are highly valued in much of the world for their sweet taste and fleshy texture, and many people decide to plant their own tree in their garden.
If you want to learn how to germinate peach seeds and their basic care , necessary for the tree to grow strong and healthy, keep reading us in this AgroCorrn article.
- How to germinate peach seeds
- Caring for sprouted peach seeds
- How to plant peach seeds – pot and soil
- Peach or peach tree care
How to germinate peach seeds
Germinating the seeds of some fruit trees is not always easy. If you are going to try to plant your own peach or peach tree, follow these steps to know how to germinate peach seeds carefully and have some patience, because it is a process that takes time:
- Get the seeds of this fruit. They serve those of most peaches or peaches that you can find, although, without a doubt, you can also buy them.
- To extract the seed of a peach, keep in mind that it will be covered with a pit that must be removed. To do this, leave it at home for 3 to 5 days, at room temperature and clean of organic debris. In this way, it will dry out and the wood will become more brittle.
- Take pliers or a hammer to carefully break the bone and extract the seed from inside without damaging it.
- Once you have the seed or seeds, soak them in a glass of water for a full day. You will notice how in 24 hours they will gain a lot of volume when hydrating.
- Take a napkin or a piece of absorbent paper, moisten it and fold it with the seeds inside.
- Wrap the paper in a piece of aluminum foil and store it in the fridge, in a drawer whose temperature stays around 5ºC.
Once a day or every few days, check the condition of the napkin to moisten it again if it has dried and to check that no fungus has appeared. In about 30 days , maybe a little longer, the peach seeds will have germinated and will be ready to be transplanted into a pot.
Caring for sprouted peach seeds
Once your peach seeds have started to germinate, it is important to take into account the following aspects to prepare the planting of the germinated peach seeds and their care :
- The substrate: prepare a pot with a substrate rich in organic matter. A good mix to create organic compost is to use coconut fiber mixed with 50/50 worm castings. Bury the seeds in the substrate, making sure that the root points down and no more than a centimeter deep.
- Moisture and watering : as soon as you plant your peach seed, water the pot so that the substrate is moistened. It is necessary that the earth is always kept moist, although not excessively, since fungi could appear.
- Lighting : find a strategic place in your home that is well lit, but without giving direct light to the pot, since otherwise the leaves, as soon as they appear, could burn.
- Wind care : it is also important to keep your peach buds sheltered from the wind, which could dry them out.
At this point, you may also want to start learning about How to care for fruit trees .
How to plant peach seeds – pot and soil
15 days after the first transplant, the peach tree should already show about 6-8 leaves. At this time, the small fruit tree will be ready for its definitive transplant, either to a larger pot or to the outside.
- Planting peach seeds in a pot: If you are going to plant it in a pot, it is advisable to use one large enough that you do not need to transplant it again for at least two years. In this other AgroCorrn article we tell you some Tricks to grow in pots .
- Planting peach seeds in the ground: outdoors, on the other hand, look for an area relatively sheltered from the wind, especially if you live in an area with a cold climate. These trees are not very resistant to cold and frost can greatly impair their development and even kill them.
In both cases, also look for a location with plenty of natural lighting, avoiding the shade.
Peach or peach tree care
Once we have our fruit tree transplanted to a larger place, it is essential to take into account the following aspects of the basic care of the peach tree so that it gives us good fruit:
- Sunlight: As we just said, the peach is a tree that requires large amounts of sunlight, so it should not be planted in the shade. However, in areas or climates where the sun is extremely strong, the trunk and branches should be whitewashed to avoid excessive suffering from solar radiation.
- Irrigation: the peach tree needs a good amount of water, specifying that its soil never gets too dry. If you can use a drip irrigation system it would be the best, but if not, you just have to check that your soil or substrate always has good drainage and a certain level of humidity, although always avoiding puddles.
- Fertilizer: this tree will also appreciate a good compost when the warm months arrive, as well as an extra supply of nitrogen for the young peach trees.
If you want to read more articles similar to Germinating peach seeds: how to do it and care , we recommend that you enter our category of Cultivation and care of plants .
Hello, I am a blogger specialized in environmental, health and scientific dissemination issues in general. The best way to define myself as a blogger is by reading my texts, so I encourage you to do so. Above all, if you are interested in staying up to date and reflecting on these issues, both on a practical and informative level.