In this AgroCorrn article we want to tell you about one of the most diverse and richest forests in our planet: the Atlantic Forest. Although currently this type of natural environment is found in very specific areas of the planet, such as South America or Spain, the ravages of man and climate change threaten this biome so valuable for life on earth.
Next, we will explain in a simple way what the Atlantic Forest is, its characteristics and the flora and fauna of this very special biome.
- What is the Atlantic Forest
- Characteristics of the Atlantic forest
- Atlantic forest flora – list of plants and more vegetation
- Atlantic forest fauna – list of animals
What is the Atlantic Forest
The Atlantic Forest or Atlantic forest , as we have already mentioned, is one of the most biodiverse forests, that is, one of the most biologically rich wooded biomes in the world. It is also known as Mata Atlântica and is made up of a unique series of forest-type ecosystems.
This type of forest can be divided into several different types of habitat, but in a general way we will differentiate: the Atlantic lowland forest , the Atlantic coastal forest , typical of the South American area, and the mixed Atlantic forest , typical of Spain. , specifically the Pyrenees.
Characteristics of the Atlantic forest
To make it much easier for you to understand the main characteristics of the Atlantic Forest , we offer you a list where you can find interesting facts about this special place, which in fact is named that way by ecologists.
- It maintains mild temperatures throughout the year, so that winters do not reach very low temperatures and summers are cool or, at least, not very hot.
- Rainfall in this biome is usually abundant.
- The type of soil on which the typical vegetation of the Atlantic forests develops is called brown earth and is made up of soils very rich in organic matter.
- After the rainy season, a type of soil called podsol develops, which is very characteristic of cold and humid lands.
- Finally, it is important to know that in addition to sheltering many species of plants and animals, the Atlantic forest is also a common environment in which people live, as is the case in some towns in South America and a place with a rural environment. in the north of Spain.
Atlantic forest flora – list of plants and more vegetation
To know part of the plants of the Atlantic Forest, we will divide the species into the two main areas where this type of forest is found . In addition, within the lists of species that you will find below, there are several species in danger of extinction. In fact, it is believed that more than 20% of the flora of the Atlantic forest is in a critical state for its recovery, regardless of whether it is from America or Spain.
Flora of the Atlantic forest in Spain
- Vaccinium myirtillus or common blueberry
- Convallaria majalis or lily of the ports
- Neottia nest-bird or parasitic orchid
- Cypripedium calceolus or lady’s shoe
- Fagus sylvatica or common beech
- Corylus avellana o avellano
- Sorbus aucuparia or hunter’s rowan
- Anemone nemorosa or forest anemone
- Pyrola minor o pirola
- Scilla lilio-hyacinthus or star hyacinth
Flora of the Atlantic Forest in South America
- Alsophyla atrovirens or tree fern
- Ilex paraguariensis or mate grass
- Tabebuia heptaphylla o lapacho rosado
- Euterpe edulis palm heart
- Caesalpiniaechinata the Brazilian stick
- Dalbergianigra or Brazilian rosewood
Atlantic forest fauna – list of animals
Finally, we are going to list the animals of the Atlantic Forest . As in the previous section, we will divide them into two large blocks to differentiate the richness of this type of forest according to the country in which they are found. The biodiversity of the Atlantic Forest presents, for anyone who loves nature, a unique garden where to find species of insects, birds, fish, reptiles and mammals.
As with flora, much of the fauna of the Atlantic forests is in danger of extinction. However, we want to record that more than 2,000 different species of the animal kingdom live within them and that they still continue to be one of the most valued biomes for its rich biodiversity.
Fauna of the Atlantic forest in Spain
- Capreolus capreolus o corzo
- Sus scrofa or wild boar
- Honeys honey or badger
- Tuesday Tuesday or Marta
- Mustela erminea o armiño
- Mustela nivalis or weasel
- Tetrao urogallus o urogallo
- Emberizidae March pito o Negro
- Erithacus rubecula o petirroojo
- Parus ater or Great Tit
- Regulus regulus or simple wren
- European sitta or nuthatch
- Anguis fragilis or lotion
- Bos o gato montés
Fauna of the Atlantic forest in South America
- Procnias nudicollis or bellbird
- Harpia harpyja or common harpy
- Amazona vinacea or and vináceo parrot
- Tapirus terrestris o tapir
- Panthera onca or jaguar
- Puma concolor o puma
- Leopardus pardalis y ocelote
- Nasua nasua o coatí
- Speothos venaticus or vinegar dog or bush dog
- Eunectes murinus or green anaconda
- Caiman latirostris or overo alligator
If you want to read more articles similar to Atlantic Forest: what it is, characteristics, flora and fauna , we recommend that you enter our Ecosystems category .
Hello, I am a blogger specialized in environmental, health and scientific dissemination issues in general. The best way to define myself as a blogger is by reading my texts, so I encourage you to do so. Above all, if you are interested in staying up to date and reflecting on these issues, both on a practical and informative level.