The cockscomb is an annual herbaceous plant that belongs to the Amaranthaceae family and has its origin in tropical regions . It reaches a height of between 40-60 centimeters, so it is ideal for both indoors and outdoors. It can be of different colors, sizes and shapes, although its bearing is usually rounded. Its leaves are alternate, simple, oval, little petiolate and with very marked veins.
Rooster comb care
Here is a list with the basic care of this plant:
- Lighting : you need to be in full sun for as long as possible. If you have it indoors, put it near the sunniest window.
- Temperature : the only requirement that it has in this sense is that, like any other tropical plant, it does not support very cold temperatures. It can never be below 5ºC.
- Irrigation : you must water 3 times a week, and the amount of water used in each irrigation should increase as the size of the plant increases. It must be damp but not puddled.
- Soil : it needs to always be slightly moist and cool, and it is essential that it has good drainage.
- Multiplication : it is done by seeds when the end of winter arrives, and it is best to do it in boxes. The seeds will take about 6 weeks to germinate.
- Cultivation : if you grow it in a greenhouse, take it outside only when night temperatures are at least 15ºC.
The flower of the cockscomb plant
As for its flowers, they can be yellow, white, red or purple . It blooms in autumn and is a very decorative plant even when it reaches its end as it can dry out. It is one of the best options to use as an indoor plant since it adapts very well to the characteristics of the home.
If you want to read more articles similar to Cultivation and care of the cockscomb , we recommend that you enter our category of Cultivation and care of plants .
Hello, I am a blogger specialized in environmental, health and scientific dissemination issues in general. The best way to define myself as a blogger is by reading my texts, so I encourage you to do so. Above all, if you are interested in staying up to date and reflecting on these issues, both on a practical and informative level.