Animals are also beings that must be respected and treated as people are treated. Currently, it has been achieved that, on many occasions, animal abuse is considered a crime, but we still have a long way to go. Preventing the mistreatment of animals is in our hands, in the hands of society itself, although we are not directly guilty, we can do a lot to reduce this situation. In this AgroCorrn article, we tell you how to avoid animal abuse .
- What is animal abuse and what types are there
- Causes of animal abuse
- Possible solutions to animal abuse and how to avoid it
- Ways to achieve the objectives against animal abuse
What is animal abuse and what types are there
The Human Society defines animal abuse as any behavior that causes any type of pain or stress to an animal .
Animal abuse can be classified into two classes: direct and indirect. The animals live abuse occurs when anyone has a direct role in causing pain, torture, neglect or death of an animal. On the contrary, indirect animal abuse does not require the direct participation of the person, but the observation of abuse and omission of their duty to prevent it, that is, it is a passive participation.
Some information offered by The Human Society about animals that suffer abuse in the world is the following:
- 70.1% are registered in dogs.
- 20.9% are registered in cats.
- 24.1% are recorded in horses and other farm animals.
These data are a simple approximation to the figures of animal abuse in the world , but there are data that cannot be taken into account since they are omitted or not reported, mainly among animal husbandry farms or companies that hide information about your work processes.
Causes of animal abuse
The causes of animal abuse are multiple, but some of them are:
- People who suffered some kind of abuse in their childhood and do not manage it correctly.
- People who believe that animals are inferior to humans and therefore do not deserve the same respect and treatment as a human being.
- Lack of education.
- Belief that an animal is our slave.
- Attacks of anger, either as a discharge of frustration or as punishment for bad behavior by the animal.
- Belief that the sale of animals is a business and therefore animals are sold to people unable to care for them.
Possible solutions to animal abuse and how to avoid it
There are some solutions to avoid animal abuse , among which the following stand out:
- Learn to recognize abuse . Some indicative symptoms of lack of care can be infestation by fleas and ticks in the animal, wounds on its body, loss of abundant fur, a very thin or hungry animal, animals caged without food or water or the extreme aggressiveness of the animal.
- Be attentive and report to the authorities in the matter when we observe these behaviors
- Give as much information as possible in your complaint, this will make it more likely to be taken into account
- Apply pressure . Often complaints of animal abuse are not taken into account by the authorities, however this is changing little by little
- Know the laws on animal abuse in your country, as well as know the punishment for these actions. This will allow you to better prepare your complaint
- Support laws and organizations that fight for animal welfare such as associations that help stray animals
- Set a good example , for example, taking care of the animals that live with you as they deserve.
- Educate children to treat animals with respect and, above all, set an example, if you treat your pets badly, the message to your children will be that animals are not worth it.
- Take care of the feeding of your pets . Malnutrition of your pets is part of direct abuse, as it can cause illness, depression or lack of energy. You can avoid the consequences of malnutrition in animals.
- Support animal shelters . You can make donations to these shelters of water and food or help with your time, walking the animals or helping to keep the shelter clean.
- Form an association . You can partner with other people to form an association in defense of animals.
Ways to achieve the objectives against animal abuse
One way to achieve our goals in this matter is to teach children from small good self – care, empathy and responsibility . Self-care would include teaching them to take care of their own body so that they recognize that what hurts them, also hurts animals. The empathy to interpret what our pets want, what they like and what they don’t, even though they cannot speak and, finally, teach them the responsibility of having a pet at home, since they must be given attention, company or attend to your needs.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to avoid animal abuse , we recommend that you enter our category of Pets .
Hello, I am a blogger specialized in environmental, health and scientific dissemination issues in general. The best way to define myself as a blogger is by reading my texts, so I encourage you to do so. Above all, if you are interested in staying up to date and reflecting on these issues, both on a practical and informative level.