Foods that are genetically modified are called GMO foods and are found in a wide variety of food products, both in baby and adult meals. For example, no one can think that fruit juices are bad for your health, but they are made with transgenic foods. If you want to eat healthy food, you will have to put GMOs aside.
- What are transgenic foods?
- How does it affect your health and that of your family
What are transgenic foods?
As I mentioned in the previous paragraph, they are genetically modified organisms (a plant or an animal) that have been genetically engineered to have new characteristics. In other words, a specific gene from an organism is added to produce a new trait. There are defenders of this practice who think that these alterations tend to make the body stronger and resistant to herbicides and pesticides, in addition to thinking that they are more nutritious, on the other hand, there are other people who consider that they are dangerous to health.
How does it affect your health and that of your family
GMO foods have been in our lives for more than 20 years and many people think that they can contribute to quite serious health problems. Some of the problems associated with transgenic foods can be:
- Intestinal disorders An Australian study stated that pigs fed genetically modified food showed severe stomach inflammation in 32% while pigs fed non-transgenic food showed 12% of cases.
- Infertility A study conducted in Vienna showed that mice fed transgenic corn for twenty weeks had fertility problems. In addition, some descendants of these mice were born with little weight.
- Kidney and liver problems. The International Journal of Biological Sciences shows a study in which some varieties of transgenic corn can have a negative impact on the kidney and liver function of people.
- More allergies. While it is difficult to determine the source of food allergies, there is concern about new proteins in transgenic corn and soy crops in case they are causing the increased frequency of food allergies.
It is true that it is a difficult fight to win since transgenic foods are in almost all the foods we consume, but it is worth raising awareness about this and that people can freely choose the type of diet they want for themselves and for families.
If you want to read more articles similar to Why GM Foods Are Bad , we recommend that you enter our GM category .
Hello, I am a blogger specialized in environmental, health and scientific dissemination issues in general. The best way to define myself as a blogger is by reading my texts, so I encourage you to do so. Above all, if you are interested in staying up to date and reflecting on these issues, both on a practical and informative level.