Although it has recently been known that the hole in the ozone layer is closing, you should know some tips so that this hole effectively ends up closing completely. To do this, you have to be responsible and avoid the use of some products that can be very harmful to our planet. Next we are going to give you a series of tips so that you can contribute to it. Remember that the effort of each one of us is very important, so keep reading and learn how to take care of the ozone layer .
- Ozone layer destruction
- Consequences of the destruction of the ozone layer
- How to take care of the ozone layer
Ozone layer destruction
The ozone layer of our planet is located in the stratosphere, developing a very important role for life to exist. This layer has a protective function, since it acts as a filter for ultraviolet radiation that comes from sunlight.
But why and how is the ozone layer destroyed ? We will explain it to you below:
On Earth we consume products known as ODS, short for Ozone Depleting Substances, however, these substances do not destroy it directly. They first undergo reactions, for example photolysis, which cause them to form intermediate chlorine nitrate or hydrogen chloride molecules. Later, these molecules decompose, giving rise to color atoms and chlorine monoxide molecules, which act as catalysts in the destruction of ozone.
In addition to chlorine atoms, bromine is also among the substances that act as catalysts. This means that they are not consumed in the reaction, so they can destroy thousands of ozone molecules. Therein lies the importance of reducing the emission of ODS into the atmosphere as much as possible, thus avoiding the destruction of the ozone layer .
In the following article you can find more information about CFC contamination .
Consequences of the destruction of the ozone layer
With sunlight we get ultraviolet radiation from the sun, radiation with enough energy to interfere with certain links of molecules, causing changes in them. Some of these molecules are essential for life, for example, DNA chains. Therefore, these changes produced by ultraviolet radiation could cause great damage to these molecules, making life impossible or difficult.
However, Ozone has a great capacity to observe this radiation and the ozone layer acts as a shield that protects us from it. Hence the importance of keeping the ozone layer healthy, otherwise, its consequences would be felt in every way:
- In humans it causes serious health effects, such as the appearance of cancers.
- In vegetation, photosynthesis, growth and production decrease.
- In marine ecosystems it affects up to 5 meters of depth and decreases the photosynthesis of phytoplankton. the base of the food chain.
How to take care of the ozone layer
Here are some tips on how to take care of the ozone layer :
- Don’t buy sprays or aerosols made up of the dreaded chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) gases .
- Do not use fire extinguishers that contain halons . It is a very harmful substance for the ozone layer.
- Buy CFC-free insulation material. Dark agglomerated cork can fulfill the same function and does not affect the ozone layer.
- Carry out a good maintenance of the air conditioning , otherwise you will allow the CFC to reach the atmosphere.
- Notify a technician if you see that your refrigerator is not cooling as it should. It may be leaking. The exact same thing can happen to you with your car’s air conditioning.
- If you plan to buy a new air conditioner, do not buy one that contains CFCs.
- If you know of fields or crops that use products with methyl bromide , report it, as they are highly polluting.
- Try to use the car as little as possible . Look for alternatives such as cycling or public transport.
- If you have to go out yes or yes with the car and make a long trip, check the one that is shortest to contaminate as little as possible and save on fuel.
- Use air conditioning and heating as little as possible.
- Buy energy saving light bulbs . In this way, you will do the environment and your pocket a favor.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to take care of the ozone layer , we recommend that you enter our ozone layer category .
Hello, I am a blogger specialized in environmental, health and scientific dissemination issues in general. The best way to define myself as a blogger is by reading my texts, so I encourage you to do so. Above all, if you are interested in staying up to date and reflecting on these issues, both on a practical and informative level.