The philodendron is a plant whose name comes from the Greek and which means “plant that loves trees”. It belongs to the Araceae family and its genus has about 120 species that originate in places like Colombia, Guyana or Brazil, although they can be cultivated anywhere in the world if the ideal conditions are achieved for it.
The best known species of this genus are the nuthatch, selloum, speciosum, giganteum, imbe, sanguineum or hastatum . It can be a herbaceous plant or a long-stemmed shrub, and the shape of its leaves is different depending on the species, being toothed, lobed, pointed, oval or elongated, all with a bright color that ranges from dark green to light. going through various shades.
Main care of the philodendron plant
If you want to learn how to take care of the philodendron plant, you just have to follow these steps that we indicate below:
- Location : it needs to be in a very well lit place but where it does not receive direct sunlight. In fact, it does very well in areas that are somewhat shady or with artificial light.
- Soil : use a universal substrate or a mixture made from 1/4 garden soil, 1/4 sand and 2/4 heather soil.
- Transplant : if it is necessary to do it, always wait for spring and do it only if the pot is already too small for you, since it is a plant that does not support transplants much.
- Irrigation : it needs to be watered every 4 days during spring and summer, always using water without lime. When autumn arrives, reduce watering as long as the water lasts. It is good to spray the leaves every two days so that they maintain constant humidity.
- Pruning : do a training pruning to control its growth.
- Fertilizer : apply a mineral fertilizer every 15 days during spring and summer. In autumn, add a little compost to the soil a couple of times, stirring only the surface part.
- Pests and diseases : if the humidity is very low, it will be easy to be attacked by the spider mite.
- Multiplication : it must be done from cuttings in each of the pruning you do.
If you want to read more articles similar to Caring for the philodendron plant , we recommend that you enter our category of Outdoor Plants .
Hello, I am a blogger specialized in environmental, health and scientific dissemination issues in general. The best way to define myself as a blogger is by reading my texts, so I encourage you to do so. Above all, if you are interested in staying up to date and reflecting on these issues, both on a practical and informative level.