The yellow lily belongs to the Iridáceas family and to the Iris genus , which is composed of more than 300 species of rhizomatous and bulbous plants that have their origin in the more temperate zones of Europe, Africa, America and Asia. It is also known by other names such as water lily, yellow acoro, bulrush lily, bulrush or fine bulrush.
It can reach a meter in height and a half in width, and has light green leaves that reach a maximum of one meter in length. Its flowers are yellow and beautiful, about 8 centimeters long like almost all lilies, having 3 drooping outer petals and 3 erect inner ones. It blooms from the beginning of spring until the beginning of summer, and bears capsule-shaped fruits. If you want to know the details about the cultivation and care of the yellow lily, find out below in this AgroCorrn article.
Basic yellow lily care
These are the care of the yellow lily that must be taken into account to grow it correctly:
- Location: it is used especially next to ponds or in water gardens that have little depth. It can live perfectly both in full sun and in lightly shaded areas.
- Temperature: being a rustic plant it can withstand frosts, although it is not recommended that they be many or have temperatures below -8ºC.
- Soil: it is not very demanding in this sense, and any type of soil to which you add organic matter will do.
- Planting: you must do it in autumn-winter, always leaving about 50 centimeters of distance between each rhizome.
- Irrigation: if you do not plant it in water, it will need very abundant and frequent waterings.
- Fertilizer: it will be enough to add organic fertilizer to the soil before planting.
- Pests and diseases: it is very resistant to all of them, they will only appear if you are very careless and do not pay minimal attention to it.
- Multiplication: the best option is to do it by division of rhizomes, either during the fall or when the spring begins.
If you want to read more articles similar to Yellow lily growing and care , we recommend that you enter our Growing and plant care category .