Skip to content

The water is a transparent colorless chemical substance and nearly is the main constituent of the earth currents, lakes and oceans, and fluids of most living organisms. Its chemical formula is H2O, which means that its molecule contains one oxygen and two hydrogen atoms connected by covalent bonds. Next we are going to explain a series of very curious facts about water.

You may also be interested: Curious facts about tulips


15 fun facts about water

  1. The planet contains 525 million cubic kilometers of water. In the last 2 billion years, the amount of water has remained constant.
  2. During a limited period of 100 years, a water molecule spends 98 years in seas and oceans, 20 months frozen as ice, 2 weeks in lakes or rivers, and less than five days in the atmosphere .
  3. Water is the regulating liquid of terrestrial temperature throughout the world.
  4. Water is the only element present in the environment that can be found both in solid, liquid or gaseous form.
  5. The water is a powerful solvent, since it is able to dissolve more than any other liquid substances.
  6. Each day that passes, the Sun evaporates more than a trillion tons of water , which accumulates in the atmosphere until it falls to the surface in the form of rain .
  7. A tree evaporates 265 liters of water per day. While a whole hectare of corn plantation evaporates more than 30,000 liters of water daily.
  8. 97% of the world’s total water is found in seas and oceans.
  9. Ice floats on water because, when frozen, it weighs 9% less than in liquid form.
  10. 80% of the water found on the continents is on the earth’s surface. The remaining 20% ​​is located underground.
  11. 0.007% of the existing water on Earth is drinkable , and that amount is reduced every year due to pollution. For this reason, more than 1,100 million people in the world do not have direct access to drinking water sources . Lack of clean water in poor countries kills 4,500 children every day.
  12. Every year more than 3,500,000 people die from diseases related to water quality worldwide. Most of these deaths occur in developing countries.
  13. The human body contains on average about 37 liters of water, normally 66% of the body mass is water. The human brain is 75% water. Human blood is 83% water. Whereas human bones are 25% water.
  14. A normal person can survive a month without food, but only seven days without drinking water.
  15. It is advisable to owe about two liters of water per day, so that over a lifetime more than 75,000 liters of water are consumed.

If you want to read more articles similar to Curious Facts about Water , we recommend that you enter our Nature Curiosities category .

+ posts

Hello, I am a blogger specialized in environmental, health and scientific dissemination issues in general. The best way to define myself as a blogger is by reading my texts, so I encourage you to do so. Above all, if you are interested in staying up to date and reflecting on these issues, both on a practical and informative level.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *