Known as cow’s foot, it is a tree that is scientifically called Bauhinia forficata and belongs to the genus Bauhinia , made up of about 200 species of shrubs and trees that originate in tropical areas of any continent. Among the best known species, the Bauhinia forficata (which we will talk about in this article), Bauhinia natalensis , Bauhinia augusti and Bauhinia purpurea , among others, stand out.
Basic care of the cow leg tree
Next, we are going to tell you how to take care of a cowfoot tree in an optimal and perfect way so that it grows and lasts:
- Use : it is usually used in gardens as isolated specimens, and also on walks. It stands out for its medicinal properties, especially as a diuretic and hypoglycemic.
- Location : you need to be in a place with full sun.
- Temperatures : the only requirement in this regard is that it does not withstand frost, so the best is a temperature at least warm throughout the year.
- Soil : it is not very demanding in this regard, although it prefers one that is light, fertile and with good drainage.
- Watering : it should be moderate since it does not need a lot of water, so let the surface dry completely between watering and watering so that there is no risk of waterlogging.
- Pruning : one can be done after flowering to get thicker and more beautiful specimens.
- Compost : the annual garden compost will suffice.
- Multiplication : it can be done by layering, by seeds (spring) or by cuttings (late summer).
Characteristics of the
The Bauhinia forficata species originates from South America, although with the right conditions it can be grown anywhere in the world. It is also known as false mahogany or orchid tree.
It is a tree that usually exceeds 5 meters in height and has lobed leaves that look like cow’s hooves, hence its name. Its flowers are white and large, with a great resemblance to orchids.
If you want to read more articles similar to Cow leg tree care , we recommend that you enter our Growing and plant care category .
Hello, I am a blogger specialized in environmental, health and scientific dissemination issues in general. The best way to define myself as a blogger is by reading my texts, so I encourage you to do so. Above all, if you are interested in staying up to date and reflecting on these issues, both on a practical and informative level.